a 3 stage program which develops personal skills which are a big leg-up for 13-17 year olds wishing to eventually be employed here at the Butterfield Acres!
We are currently accepting applications for the 2013 program term..
Are you 13-17 years of age? Would you like to develop skills and character through experiences working with animals? and children? Do you enjoy being in a fast-paced environment with other people who are passionate about what they do? Then the Butterfield Acres Junior Leadership Development Program could be for you!!!
We invite enthusiastic cream-of-the-crop teens to submit an application to the Junior Leader Development Program . Each year we accept a maximum of 15 candidates into this program, and many eventually join our often-complimented staff as talented, committed, and fun-loving "We love farm" staffers!
You'll have fun, and......
- discover your strengths and talents, learn lots of new skills !
- expand your social circle !
- build a sense of independence !
- gain self-confidence and many new animal and people skills !
- learn through first-hand, hands-on experience !
- be a part of a great team of Farm Hands!
- preference given to 'graduates' of our Farmers-in-Training Day Camp Program
The 3 stages:
- Volunteer stage: you work under the guidance of existing staff members participating in a variety of Butterfield Acres activities and programs. You will be paired up with different Senior Leaders for offsite activities like our Farm Corral (petting zoo) which takes animals out to activities all over Calgary, or help out with the Legendary Easter Hunt, the Harvest Pumpkin Hunt, or work with the summer Day Camp program as a Junior Leader. This stage of the program is 60 hours. Your goal is to impress your Senior Leaders with your positive attitude, and growing farm knowledge and leadership skills.
- Honorarium stage: If you have successfully completed your 60 hours, you may be invited to participate in this next level. It is a midstage between volunteering and real employment. Continue to learn as much as you can, develop your skills and ability to work with people (especially children and parents, and of course your fellow team members on the staff). You are given more responsibility a bit at a time and there'll be opportunities for new and different experiences as you become more knowledgeable and capable. This stage of the program is based on merit and gradually phases into the third and final stage as Senior Leaders recognise that your knowledge, skills enthusiasm are getting more and more amazing! This stage does not have a set time frame, but is based on your skill set and character growth.
Let your super-star show!
- You're invited to be 'official staff' !!!! Of course you still grow and learn (we never stop around here!), and eventually, if you're really doing well, you'll eventually be given opportunities to step into Senior roles yourself where you'll be teaching and leading farm experiences yourself. Maybe you'll even take over the farm one day!!!
So, let me fill in the application form!
Top of Page